The 2019-20 flu season has been complicated by the recent outbreak of a novel coronavirus. Please be assured that NCHS is taking necessary steps to keep our patients and staff informed and aware of information as it becomes available. Read on to learn more about this virus.
What is the Coronavirus?
This virus can cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more serious respiratory diseases. This recent strain, known as 2019 Novel Coronavirus (nCOV), has been linked to people who have travelled to China or have come in close contact with a person confirmed with 2019 nCOV infection.
How is it spread?
Human Coronavirus is most commonly spread through:
- Coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- Rarely, fecal contamination
What are the symptoms?
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe illness
AND recent travel to China or exposure to someone that has recently visited China
How can I protect myself?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
What steps are being taken at NCHS?
- MAP is screening any callers with symptoms.
- If they recently traveled to China and have fever and respiratory symptoms, their call is forwarded to RN for triage and local public health department is called for consultation. The Public Health Nurse will advise whether or not the patient will be seen in the clinic.
- All patients who come into the clinic are screened for travel and symptoms consistent with Coronavirus. If they recently traveled to China and experience symptoms, they are being asked to wear a mask and placed in a private room or separate area at least 6 feet from other persons. The local public health department is notified for consultation and follow-up for any Persons Under Investigation (PUI).
Where can I get more information?