The WIC program encourages women to breastfeed and it provides the support you need to get breastfeeding off to a good start. Breastmilk is all your baby needs for the first six months of life.
You will find that when you are on WIC, breastfeeding will be easier because you will have the education and support you need. Breastfeeding experts and nutrition counselors are here to help you achieve your infant feeding goals.
WIC Benefits for Breastfeeding Moms
WIC promotes breastfeeding as the healthiest way to feed babies. We provide the following support services to help moms and babies breastfeed successfully:
- Prenatal breastfeeding education to understand the benefits of breastfeeding to mom and baby, and how to get a good start. Education is available in person, or on-line.
- One-on-one feeding assessment and breastfeeding support with a Lactation Consultant or breastfeeding specialist.
- Hospital-grade electric breast pumps loan program for mothers with babies unable to breastfeed, or that are returning to work, military service, or school.
- Manual breast pumps and other supplies.
- Additional food coupons given to breastfeeding mothers, and even more for exclusively breastfeeding mothers until baby’s first birthday.
- Breastfeeding Helpline 888-477-6333 (7:30am-4:30pm, Mon-Fri).
Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors are moms like you that are trained lactation educators. They breastfed their own babies, so they will support and encourage you, answer your questions, arrange for you to see a breastfeeding expert, if needed. Breastfeeding Peer Counseling services start during your pregnancy. If you are interested, ask your WIC staff, or call 888-477-6333.
Infant Feeding: Understanding my Baby’s Cues
Having a baby is a very exciting time! Whether you choose to breastfeed or formula feed your baby, WIC will help you learn more about your baby’s behavior and how to understand your baby’s needs. WIC can help you learn about why babies sleep differently than adults, how your baby communicates with you, and how to calm your crying baby.
Contact Our NCHS WIC Office Today
We have 7 WIC Locations to serve you:
- San Marcos: 150 Valpreda Rd, #102, San Marcos, CA 92069
- Escondido: 649 West Mission Ave, Suite 7, Escondido, CA 92025
- Ramona: 1039 D Street, Suite 2, Ramona, CA 92065
- Encinitas: 285 N. El Camino Real, #111, Encinitas, CA 92024
- Oceanside (Mission Mesa): 2210 Mesa Dr. #1, Oceanside, CA 92054
- Valley Center: 28246 Lilac Rd., Valley Center, CA 92082
- Borrego Springs: 4343 Yaqui Pass Rd., Borrego Springs, CA 92004