Baked Strawberry Donuts!
Strawberries are the freshest in the spring and nothing says Happy Mother’s Day like a delicious and fruity treat! These baked strawberry donuts are the perfect breakfast in bed treat for mom. Their light and airy texture closely resembles those mini strawberry shortcakes we use to make when we were kids (or if you’re like us, anytime you’re craving whip cream and strawberries).
These donuts are very simple to make and are free of all extra refined sugars, preservatives, and artificial flavors. Feel free to top these babes with fresh jam, whip cream, or peanut butter for a PB & J bagel!
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave or honey
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil – If you don’t mind fat-free texture, you can use applesauce (35g)
- 1 cup flour, loosely packed (works with all-purpose, spelt, or gf all-purpose mix) (125g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries, fresh or frozen-thawed (60g)
- optional add-ins: pinch cinnamon, handful mini chocolate chips or shredded coconut
Combine first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Grease a donut pan OR mini muffin pan, and preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together all remaining ingredients except strawberries. (For best taste and texture, I highly recommend the oil option.) Pour wet into dry once the oven is preheated, and stir until just evenly mixed. Don’t overmix. Stir in the berries. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until donuts have risen and the batter is no longer wet. Let sit 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Frosting ideas are listed earlier in this post.
recipe from: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/