The North County Health Services WIC Program is here for you to provide proper nutrition to pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, new mothers and young children to improve healthy eating and nutrition to improve overall wellness.
Offered through the USDA, WIC stands for Women, Infants and Children. The purpose of the WIC Program is to prevent health problems and improve the health of women and children during these important times of growth and development.
The WIC Program is here to:
- Reduce complications of pregnancy
- Promote health birth outcomes and prevent low birth weight babies
- Reduce iron deficiency anemia in women, infants and children
- Promote and support breastfeeding
- Promote optimum growth and development of infants and young children.
Can you benefit from the WIC Program? WIC is available to:
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have recently had a baby
- Infants under 12 months old
- Children under 5 years old (includes foster children, grandchildren & children of single fathers)
What can WIC provide for me?
Special checks to buy healthy foods: Foods include milk, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, peanut butter, dried beans/peas, and infant formula. WIC foods provide protein, Vitamins A and C, calcium, and iron.
Nutrition and health education: WIC teaches parents and caregivers of infants and children about nutrition, other health topics, and physical activity.
Support and help with breastfeeding: WIC promotes breastfeeding as the first choice for infant feeding. Participants receive encouragement, education, and help with breastfeeding by certified lactation specialists.
Referrals to health care and other services: To medical providers for pediatric and perinatal services and WIC also makes referrals to community services.
To see if you qualify for the WIC Program or to answer any questions, call 888-477-6333 today!
NCHS has 7 WIC Locations to serve you:
- San Marcos: 150 Valpreda Rd, #102, San Marcos, CA 92069
- Escondido: 649 West Mission Ave, Suite 7, Escondido, CA 92025
- Ramona: 1039 D Street, Suite 2, Ramona, CA 92065
- Encinitas: 285 N. El Camino Real, #111, Encinitas, CA 92024
- Oceanside (Mission Mesa): 2210 Mesa Dr. #1, Oceanside, CA 92054
- Valley Center: 28246 Lilac Rd., Valley Center, CA 92082
- Borrego Springs: 4343 Yaqui Pass Rd., Borrego Springs, CA 92004